Posted on 08. Dec, 2010 by blogadmin
We love providing you with great, fresh recipes from local Vermont restaurants people and other farms out of “The Official Vermont Maple Cookbook” but don’t completely give up if you don’t have time to make something like the salsa. Chutneys and sweet mustards go great with pork… so if you don’t have time to make your own, think of buying chutney or sweet mustard as a condiment instead!
The following recipe is taken from “The Official Vermont Maple Cookbook,” but it is originally from the Middlebury Inn in Middlebury, VT.
Pork & Sauce:
- 1.5lb trimmed Pork Loin cut into eight, 3oz pieces
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Canola or Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon
- 1 Stick of Cubed, Unsalted Butter
- 3 Apple (Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady, Macintosh) Finely Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Red Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Jalapeno
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
- Pinch of Salt
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients for the salsa and mix thoroughly. Let this bowl rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Pound the pork loin flat with a mallet or rolling pin.
- Place a large saute pan to warm on the stove & place half the oil in pan.
- Dust both sides of pork loin lightly with flour, salt & pepper.
- Saute the pork on both sides until almost fully cooked and remove from t he pan.
- Repeat the process until all pork has been cooked.
- After all pork has been cooked, add the rest of the oil and into pan and then pour in maple syrup & bourbon– stand back as you do this! *if you have a gas stove, this will light up like napalm, if you have electric, you’ll get an alcohol steam back, so please stay alert when mixing these ingredients!
- Slowly drop the cubes of butter into the liquid and whisk until fully incorporated– do not stop whisking until it’s all in.
- Place the pork back in the pan and season the sauce with a little salt and pepper and put to the side.
- Place the pork medallions evenly across a platter and pour the sauce over top. Spoon a little apple salsa onto each one and serve!
- Serves 4 people. ENJOY!!